Navigation Classes: On-Demand!
Your Space - Your Pace - Expert Instruction
Prepare for the Salish Sea and Beyond
The Salish Sea and Inside Passage present some of the world's peak challenges to boaters. Solid navigation skills are key to staying safe as you find your way through the intricate passages, riddled with invisible rocks and reefs, and complicated by huge tides & currents, and dynamic weather. Anyone training to navigate the Salish Sea is prepared to cruise anywhere in the world.
Founded on the Internationally recognized US Sailing/US Powerboating Coastal Navigation Certification course, Shearwater University divides the curriculum into two levels:
- Navigation Essentials provides the foundation for all boaters.
- Coastal Navigation advances the skills & knowledge for cruisers on the Salish Sea and anywhere in the world. Students have the option to test for Certification.
Shearwater University now offers our highly acclaimed navigation classes from the comfort and safety of your home, and on your schedule, when you need it. Taught by a professional educator, and includes instructor support.
For all boaters venturing out on the Salish Sea or any body of water. This course covers the foundation levels of the Coastal Navigation Certification curriculum.
- Topics Include:
- Introduction to mercator marine navigation charts
- Types of electronic charts, their benefits and limitations
- US Aids to Navigation
- Proficient use of plotting Tools
- Plotting courses and routes
- Determining your position - different methods
- Tide & current science
- Using Tide tables & Current tables in navigation
- Marine weather forecast - access & interpretation
- Identifying & mitigating for hazards
- Trip planning
- Powerful navigation apps & other electronic resources
- Learning Format:
- Navigation Essentials comes to you! The same course and expert, personalized instruction, On-Demand, in your home.
- 16 hours of expert instruction - including practice time - broken into digestible modules. Choose your own pace.
- Prerequisites: None
About the Instructor
Phyllis Woolwine is a US Coast Guard licensed Captain, US Sailing Certified Navigation, Keelboat and Cruising Instructor, and US Powerboating Cruising Instructor. She has spent her life on the sea - cruising and racing sailboats, paddling canoes and kayaks, and operating commercial power boats in SE Alaska. She took her first cross-bearing fixes at age 10 in the Canadian Gulf Islands, under her father's tutelage. She has spent most of her adult life providing planning, navigation and leadership for everything from crewed Alaskan charters to extended kayaking expeditions in the Salish Sea. From age 10 through the present day, she has explored all parts of the Salish Sea and the Inside Passage, including 18 years in SE Alaska. Phyllis is a career-long educator - a National Board Certified Teacher - with extensive experience teaching all types and ages of learners in the classroom, on the water, in the wilderness, in universities, high schools and private settings.