Shearwater University Instructors
President and Lead Instructor
- USCG Captain: Master Near Coastal
- US Sailing Certified Basic Keelboat, Basic Cruising, Bareboat Cruising, Coastal Passage Making, and Coastal Navigation Instructor
- US Powerboating Certified Basic Powerboat Cruising, Inshore Powerboat Cruising, and Night Operations Instructor
- American Canoe Association Certified Coastal Kayaking Instructor
- National Board Certified Teacher, Adult and Young Adult Science
- MA, Multicultural Science Education
- BS, Botany
Phyllis brings her passion and a lifetime of experience in boating, education, and natural science to her culminating life work, which is Shearwater University.
- Passionate Sailor since age 5: Cruising & racing on both coasts
- Kayaking and Canoeing since age 12.
- 18 years boating experience in SE Alaska. Piloted vessels of every size, from kayaks to 68-foot tenders, throughout the entire archipelago.
- Kayaking leader for trips throughout Washington and British Columbia since 2011
- Founder and Leader of Following the Raven, a sectional paddle through the Inside Passage from Seattle into SE Alaska
- 14 years teaching high school science: Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science
- 8 years teaching sciences at University of Washington and University of Alaska
- Founded Shearwater University in 2015 to bring professional education to maritime training.
Faculty, School of Kayaking
Credentials & Experience:
- Kayaking since 1980 in England and the United States
- Leading kayaking trips in the Salish Sea since 2010
- Teaching sea kayaking skills since 2009
Martin's patience, clear communication and attention to detail have helped kayakers of all skill levels achieve their goals.