Shearwater University draws from a wide community of regional experts to offer the range of classes in our four schools. Each of our instructors is passionate about their area of expertise, and about sharing it with others who love boats, water and wild places.
President and Lead Instructor
- USCG Captain: Master Near Coastal
- US Sailing Certified Basic Keelboat, Basic Cruising, Bareboat Cruising, and Coastal Navigation Instructor
- US Powerboating Certified Basic Powerboat Cruising, Inshore Powerboat Cruising, and Night Operations Instructor
- American Canoe Association Certified Coastal Kayaking Instructor
- National Board Certified Teacher, Adult and Young Adult Science
- MA, Multicultural Science Education
- BS, Botany
Phyllis brings her passion and a lifetime of experience in boating, education, and natural science to her culminating life work, which is Shearwater University.
- Passionate Sailor since age 5: Cruising & racing on both coasts
- Kayaking and Canoeing since age 12.
- 18 years boating experience in SE Alaska. Piloted vessels of every size, from kayaks to 68-foot tenders, throughout the entire archipelago.
- Kayaking leader for trips throughout Washington and British Columbia since 2011
- Founder and Leader of Following the Raven, a sectional paddle through the Inside Passage from Seattle into SE Alaska
- 14 years teaching high school science: Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science
- 8 years teaching sciences at University of Washington and University of Alaska
Faculty, School of Kayaking
Credentials & Experience:
- Kayaking since 1980 in England and the United States
- Leading kayaking trips in the Salish Sea since 2010
- Teaching sea kayaking skills since 2009
Martin’s patience, clear communication and attention to detail have helped kayakers of all skill levels achieve their goals.